- This event has passed.
RIIWHS204E – Work Safely at Heights
November 16 @ 7:30 am - 2:30 pm$269.00
This course is designed for new and experienced personnel required to work safely at heights at an operational level typically in the resources and infrastructure industries. The course will expose students to a broad range of height risk situations and to implement safe working procedures according to the regulations and legislative requirements governing working safely at heights.
Students will learn to identify risks and implement appropriate control measures as well as interpret and apply risk assessment documentation, technical and safety information as well as understand the strengths and limitations of the fall protection equipment available for working safely at heights.
Students will perform two work safely at heights scenarios using various safety systems. This includes installing equipment checking and correctly fitting, adjusting and anchoring fall protection systems and associated equipment.
- Regulations and legislation
- Australian Standards
- Risk assessment and hazard elimination
- Equipment selection and use
- Anchor systems, selecting solid and reliable anchorage
- Fall restraint systems, selection of equipment and correct use
- Work positioning systems, selection of equipment and correct use
- Fall arrest systems
- Using energy absorbing lanyards
- Correct use of ladders and ladder safety training
- Knowledge on relevant legislation and Australian Standards for working at height
- Advice on risk control methods for the type of work at height to be undertaken
- Plenty of practical hands on training to ensure workers can be safe at height
- Learner Rights & Responsibilities
- Active link to the student handbook
- Assessment & Activities
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- RIIWHS204E – Work safely at heights
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Psychological and physical capability to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstrations for this course, such as the undertaking of the requirements to work safely at heights wearing appropriate PPE and using appropriate fall protection equipment. Participants will need sufficient physical ability to lift equipment infrequently from ground to overhead and access heights above 2m.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and comfortable/practical clothing must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements – students must be able to read and correctly interpret required documentation relevant to working at height, speak clearly and unambiguously in English, explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues and understand the risk assessment requirements. Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to the level of being able to correctly calculate total fall distances for example.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Certificate Renewal Requirements:
- $269.00 per person
- Work safely at heights on at least two occasions, including:
- on a brittle surface with several skylights
- on a flat surface with uneven ground conditions
- Assess hazards and risks associated with working at heights and implement appropriate control methods
- Select, wear and care for personal protective equipment
- Identify required safety systems including fall protection and associated equipment
- Check the correct fitting, adjust and anchor fall protection and associated equipment
Documentation – The student must complete all documentation according to the required standard:
- Access, interpret and apply technical and safety information. including the JSEA/ SWMS for each scenario, for working at heights
- Complete an equipment maintenance log
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must successfully complete all assessment questions
Learner rights and responsibilities:
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909. Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au (https://allenstraining.com.au/students/student-handbook) for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.